Are you looking out to create and add an XML sitemap to your website.
In this blog post, I will explain the following topics to you.
What Is XML Sitemaps?
An XML sitemap is a file which contains a list of all URLs of the website, and these sitemaps are in the XML format tells search engines about all the pages is on the site and how frequently your website is getting updated
Search engines use the sitemap to crawl and index pages. Means search engines like google, Yahoo and bind will understand the content on the website and start showing in search engine results page.
How to Create XML Sitemap
There are many ways to create an XML sitemap for your website.
This is an XML sitemap generator that allows you to create a sitemap for 500 pages freely.
Registration is not required to create a sitemap just put your website URL and click START.
It will start the process of sitemap generating once you click the start button
Once the process completed, Click on DOWNLOAD YOUR XML SITEMAP FILE, put that on your website.
My website has more than 500 pages what should I do.
You need to choose the PRO sitemaps. It gives the following benefits.
- Submit sitemaps directly from their servers
- Update your sitemap without reuploading,
- Automatic sitemap update,
- index up to 1,500,000 pages
- Detech and list broken links from your website
WordPress Best Sitemap Plugins
These are the plugins help you to create an XML sitemap for your WordPress site.
Note: don’t install all these three plugins, that will harm your website.
Now let’s discuss the XML WordPress plugins.
1. Yoast SEO
Yoast SEO is a Search Engine Optimization plugin, Helps SEO’s to optimize their website to search engines.
This plugin has helped millions of webmasters to rank their site in the top of search engines.
It started in 2008, and now it has 5+ Million active installations.
2. Google XML Sitemaps
Google XML Sitemaps is an XML sitemap generator plugin that helps search engines to find and index your content in search engines.
This plugin was started nine years ago with 2+ Million active installations
3. XML Sitemap & Google News
XML Sitemap & Google News allows you to create powerful feeds that completely comply with XML sitemap and google news sitemap protocol. And also compatible with Multisite, Polylangand WPML, and it will not create any static files on your website.
XML Sitemap & Google News is also compatible with caching plugins WP Super Cache, W3 Total Cache, etc
This plugin has 1,00000 + Active installations.
How to Create Sitemap in WordPress
I hope you understand the plugins I explained to you above, install, and activate any of those plugins.
Creating a sitemap with Yoast SEO.
1. Install and activate the Yoast SEO WordPress plugin.
2. After installation visit www.yoursite.com/sitemap.xml
Congratulations, an XML sitemap is created in your website
If you did not see the XML sitemap on your website, follow these steps.
1. Click SEO from the WordPress dashboard. And click general
2. Click features and ensure XML Sitemap is ON
Types Of Sitemaps
Yes, there are different types of sitemaps providing the list below.
How to Submit Sitemap to Google
Submitting the site to Google is easy. Todo this, you must verify your website in Google Search console.
I hope you already verified your website in google search console and continuing with the next step.
1. Login to Google Search Console and click Sitemap.
2. Enter sitemap.xml in the field and click submit.
Now your sitemap is successfully submitted to Google.
How to Submit Sitemap to Bing
1. Login to Bing webmaster tools
2. Select the site you wish to submit the sitemap
3. From the left side menu, click configure My site and select sitemaps.
4. Submit your sitemap link and click submit.
Why is an XML Sitemap Important
- The XML sitemap informs google about the links on Google
- The XML sitemap says to Google what content to crawl
- The XML sitemaps inform to google how frequent your content is updated
How to View Sitemap of Website
It’s easy to view the sitemap of your website, visit www.yourwebsite.com/sitemap.xml
How to upload the XML file to the website
1. Download the Filezilla – Free FTP Solution provider.
2. Enter your user id, password and connect to the server.
3. Once you connected to the server, upload the XML file to the main directory.
If you are unable to update the XML file to the server, you can take the help of your developer or hosting guys, or you hire someone to do that
Supported Sitemap format for Google
I hope this blog post helped you to understand what an XML sitemap is and how to create the sitemap.
Reach us if you need SEO Services or SEO training.
Comment below if you have any questions. If you like this blog, share it on social media networking sites.